Be part of a new media movement in the heart of Southeast Asia
Based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Southeast Asia Globe is a team of journalists, designers and engineers who believe that well-told stories can inspire, educate and ultimately bring people closer together.
To this end, we have created a community of dedicated members who are concerned about the issues shaping our world today and who believe that, through a shared understanding, we can work together to create a better future.
As a member-driven media company, we are committed to growing our community through thought-provoking stories and continued engagement with our readers. To accomplish this, we’ve built a team of passionate, innovative and hard-working people who are not afraid of getting their hands dirty.
Current opening: Editorial Internship
Position Description: Editorial Intern
Organisation: Southeast Asia Globe
Status: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Length: 6 months contract
Location: Phnom Penh or remote
Salary: Living stipend
Reporting: Lead Editor
Start date: As soon as possible
We are looking for a dynamic Editorial Intern to join our team and write in-depth feature articles and analysis on the most vital issues facing Southeast Asia. From pitching original story ideas, to researching, planning and executing well-crafted ideas into compelling, thought-provoking stories, we are looking for an intern that is willing to learn on the job, while possessing sound writing skills and an excellent work ethic. With the ongoing pandemic, we are also considering applications to do this internship remotely, with preference given to candidates currently in Southeast Asia. We are particularly interested in recruiting interns based in the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Myanmar.
We seek a creative, efficient, organised, detail-oriented editorial intern on a full-time basis for six months. You will assist the Lead Editor and editorial team in pitching, researching, planning and writing between 3-4 long-form feature articles per month.
As part of the editorial team, you’ll be expected to attend our weekly editorial team meetings, where you’ll be taken behind the scenes of editorial content planning and execution.
Part of your internship will be field-based, where you’ll have the opportunity to travel to other parts of Cambodia or greater Phnom Penh for research and interviews, with occasional overseas travel.
As a creative internship, we give the opportunity for applicants with specific skill sets (like SEO or social media) to share and exercise their ideas openly. At the same time, if you have a particular interest in women’s rights or ethnic discrimination, for example, you’ll have the opportunity to pursue stories in your area of interest.
This internship provides a small monthly stipend per month, but it can also be taken as university credit/a work placement. You will also have opportunities to supplement your income each month with added advertorial work on behalf of Globe Media Asia. Since joining Southeast Asia Globe, many of our interns have become part of our permanent in-house team, while others have branched out in freelancing, working for big-name media companies like the Jakarta Post and Al Jazeera.
– Write a variety of stories, ranging from photo-led interview articles, to longer feature articles ranging between 800 – 1,200 words
– Collaborate with our editorial team and reporters to produce high-quality content
– Independently fact-check and research content in development
– Consistently generate fresh, unique ideas for new stories and features
– Interview key voices for your stories, either over the phone or in person
– Daily research into news topics and stories
– Excellent writing skills. Ability to write clearly, concisely, and in line with our in-house editorial style
– Excellent command of the English language
– Passion for storytelling
– Ability to uphold our mission of providing high-quality, independent journalism
– Detail oriented, intellectually curious, able to take direction, and eager to learn about writing for a digital publication with a large outreach
– Relevant work experience, course-work, or extracurricular activities in journalism, communications, marketing or other related fields
– Photography/multi-media skills, while not essential, are favourably looked upon
How to apply
If you meet this criteria and are interested in the role, please email us your resume and/or portfolio of work to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Editorial Intern application – Southeast Asia Globe’. In the email, include a short 500-word article suitable for one of our four core pillars about a key issue facing Southeast Asia today. No cover letter is needed.
We continuously work with freelance writers based in Southeast Asia and abroad and are always open to collaborating with talented writers. For more information about what kind of pitches and freelance relationships we are looking for, please visit our contributors page.