Be part of a new media movement in the heart of Southeast Asia
Based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Southeast Asia Globe is a team of journalists, designers and engineers who believe that well-told stories can inspire, educate and ultimately bring people closer together.
To this end, we have created a community of dedicated members who are concerned about the issues shaping our world today and who believe that, through a shared understanding, we can work together to create a better future.
As a member-driven media company, we are committed to growing our community through thought-provoking stories and continued engagement with our readers. To accomplish this, we’ve built a team of passionate, innovative and hard-working people who are not afraid of getting their hands dirty.
Journalism jobs in Cambodia:
Current opening: Editorial Internship
Position Description: Editorial Intern
Organisation: Southeast Asia Globe
Status: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Length: 6 months contract
Location: Phnom Penh
Salary: Living stipend
Reporting: Lead Editor
Start date: As soon as possible
We are looking for a dynamic Editorial Intern to join our team and write in-depth feature articles and analysis on the most vital issues facing Southeast Asia. From pitching original story ideas, to researching, planning and executing well-crafted ideas into compelling, thought-provoking stories, we are looking for an intern that is willing to learn on the job, while possessing sound writing skills and an excellent work ethic.
About Southeast Asia Globe
Owned by Globe Media Asia, Southeast Asia Globe has for the past 12 years served as a space for some of the region’s best writers and photographers to take our readers behind the headlines and into the stories that shape lives. We deliver one in-depth feature article every day for our readers and are dedicated to producing engaging stories that combine world-class journalism and captivating art design.
Through our core pillars – Power, Money, Life and Earth – we home in on the central issues shaping our planet and region, with in-depth coverage of politics, business, social affairs and the environment. Our aim is simple: as a member-driven platform we want to inspire an engaged and active community of members who vote for, comment on and contribute to the stories that matter most to them.
We seek a creative, efficient, organised, detail-oriented editorial intern to work in the Globe Media Asia office in Phnom Penh on a full-time basis for six months. You will assist the Lead Editor and Editorial Channel Manager in pitching, researching, planning and writing between 3-4 long-form feature articles per month.
As part of the editorial team, you’ll be expected to attend our daily editorial team meetings, where you’ll be taken behind the scenes of editorial content planning and execution.
Part of your internship will be field-based, where you’ll have the opportunity to travel to other parts of Cambodia or greater Phnom Penh for research and interviews, with occasional overseas travel.
As a creative internship, we give the opportunity for applicants with specific skill sets (like SEO or social media) to share and exercise their ideas openly. At the same time, if you have a particular interest in women’s rights or ethnic discrimination, for example, you’ll have the opportunity to pursue stories in your area of interest.
This internship provides a small monthly stipend per month, but it can also be taken as university credit/a work placement. You will also have opportunities to supplement your income each month with added advertorial work on behalf of Globe Media Asia. Since joining Southeast Asia Globe, many of our interns have become part of our permanent in-house team, while others have branched out in freelancing, working for big-name media companies like the Jakarta Post and Al Jazeera.
- Write a variety of stories, ranging from photo-led interview articles, to longer feature articles ranging between 1,500-2,000 words
- Collaborate with our editorial team and reporters to produce high-quality content
- Independently fact-check and research content in development
- Consistently generate fresh, unique ideas for new stories and features
- Interview key voices for your stories, either over the phone or in person
- Daily research into news topics and stories
- Excellent writing skills. Ability to write clearly, concisely, and in line with our in-house editorial style
- Excellent command of the English language
- Passion for storytelling
- Ability to uphold our mission of providing high-quality, independent journalism
- Detail oriented, intellectually curious, able to take direction, and eager to learn about writing for a digital publication with a large outreach
- Relevant work experience, course-work, or extracurricular activities in journalism, communications, marketing or other related fields
- Photography/multi-media skills, while not essential, are favourably looked upon
How to apply:
If you meet this criteria and are interested in the role, please email us your resume and/or portfolio of work to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Editorial Intern application – Southeast Asia Globe’. In the email, include a short 500-word article suitable for one of our four core pillars about a key issue facing Southeast Asia today. No cover letter is needed.
Current opening: Editor
Start date: Immediately
We are currently looking for an experienced, innovative and highly organised editor with experience in the region and a strong grasp on Southeast Asian issues.
This is a key editorial position that is essential to the growth of our new digital and platform-based journalism community. By taking on this role, you will be required to coordinate a range of submissions from regional contributors and members, and will be expected to help lead our tight-knit team of writers, designers and interns.
Principal job duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinate and develop concepts for multimedia digital stories
- Analyse metrics, measure engagement and deploy tactics to meet traffic goals
- Identify and mentor Southeast Asian contributors who create informed content in keeping with our vision
- Supervise social media platforms and drive online engagement
- Focus on fostering communication with members and securing reader loyalty
- Support the growth of our reader-revenue program
- Edit content
Principal job requirements:
- Deep understanding of Southeast Asia and its local news environments
- Ability to identify and create intelligent, out-of-the-box editorial concepts
- A high level of understanding of timely and relevant editorial content
- Strict adherence to deadlines and fulfilment of planning targets
- Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced editorial environment
- Excellent headline-writing and copy-editing skills, SEO experience is a plus
- Experience with photo research and article illustration
- A degree in digital journalism or communications
- Relevant newsroom experience
We continuously work with freelance writers based in Southeast Asia and abroad and are always open to collaborating with talented writers. For more information about what kind of pitches and freelance relationships we are looking for, please visit our contributors page.