- Status: Full-time, 40 hours per week
- Location: Remote – Southeast Asia / preferred (Malaysia /Singapore/ Thailand/Indonesia)
- Start date: Immediately
Globe Media Asia is a regional media company based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, since 2007. After moving our flagship publication, Southeast Asia Globe, to an online-only platform in June 2019, we launched its membership programme in March 2020.
We continue to cover a wide range of topics relevant to readers based in Southeast Asia, and a global readership with a keen interest in this fascinating and fast growing part of the world: current and former expatriates, entrepreneurs, institutional decision makers, the development community, academics, students & travelers.
We produce feature length articles on a daily basis on politics, entrepreneurship & business, social issues, the environment and arts & culture and are looking for a professional, innovative and highly organised junior editor to join our vibrant international team.
The junior editor is essential to help our team to grow our digital, analytics, and platform-based journalism community with over 550 members and 40,000 subscribers today, working with the editor in chief and editors, writers, designers and interns.
You will have a network of contacts and sources across those countries, with strong experience working in newsrooms in at least one these countries. You will possess a strong grasp of the local news scene, ideally strong photography and writing skills, experience managing writers, as well as be self-motivated and show initiative hunting out stories working in a remote role.
Principal job duties and responsibilities
● Write 2 stories per month on a relevant topic from your location country
● Identify, acquire and support contributors such as analysts, academics and other experts to create intellectually engaging content
● Participate in weekly editorial meetings
● Be available to perform task on request for the editorial team
● Copy edit the work of authors as delegated by the editor in chief to highest editorial standards
● Commission, research and select photography and illustrations to go with stories you author, or edit
● Support other relevant content creation such as social media posts
Principal job requirements
● Understanding of Southeast Asia and its news environments
● Ability to dissect relevant topics of the month in your geographical location for an international audience
● Excellent copy-editing skills
● Strict adherence to deadlines and fulfillment of targets
● Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced editorial environment
● Experience with WordPress and SEO
● Photography skills
● Regional language skills are preferred but not essential
● Relevant newsroom experience
● Strong writing and editing experience
● Experience with photography
Dependent on experience
How to apply
Please send your CV to: Daniel Marchette, General Manager: d.marchette[at]globemediaasia[dot]com