We are looking for a dynamic Editorial Intern to join our team and help us write in-depth feature articles and analysis on the most vital issues facing Southeast Asia. From pitching original story ideas to researching, planning and helping to executing well-crafted ideas into compelling, thought-provoking stories, we are looking for an interns who are that is willing to learn on the job while possessing sound writing skills and an excellent work ethic.
- Position Description: Editorial Intern
- Organisation: Southeast Asia Globe
- Status: Full-time, 40 hours per week
- Length: 6 months contract
- Location: Phnom Penh or Southeast Asia
- Salary: Living stipend
- Reporting: Editor in Chief
- Start date: As soon as possible
About Southeast Asia Globe
Owned by Globe Media Asia, Southeast Asia Globe has for the past 13 years served as a space for some of the region’s best writers and photographers to take our readers behind the headlines and into the stories that shape lives. We deliver at least one in-depth feature article every day for our readers and are dedicated to producing engaging stories that combine world-class journalism and captivating art design.
Through our core pillars – Power, Money, Life and Earth – we home in on the central issues shaping our planet and this region, with in-depth coverage of politics, business, social affairs and the environment. Our aim is simple: as a member-driven platform we want to inspire an engaged and active community of members who vote for, comment on and contribute to the stories that matter most to them.
We seek a creative, efficient, organised, detail-oriented editorial intern to work in the Globe Media Asia office in Phnom Penh on a full-time basis for six months. You will assist the Editor in Chief and the editorial team in pitching, researching, planning and writing between 3-4 long-form feature articles per month.
As part of the editorial team, you’ll be expected to attend our daily editorial team meetings, where you’ll be taken behind the scenes of editorial content planning and execution.
Part of your internship will be field-based, where you’ll have the opportunity to travel to other parts of Cambodia or greater Phnom Penh for research and interviews, with occasional overseas travel.
As a creative internship, we give the opportunity for applicants with specific skill sets (like SEO or social media) to share and exercise their ideas openly. At the same time, if you have a particular interest in women’s rights or ethnic discrimination, for example, you’ll have the opportunity to pursue stories in your area of interest.
This internship provides a small monthly stipend per month, but it can also be taken as university credit/a work placement. You will also have opportunities to supplement your income each month with added advertorial work on behalf of Globe Media Asia. Since joining Southeast Asia Globe, many of our interns have become part of our permanent in-house team, while others have branched out in freelancing or, working for big-name media companies.
- Write a variety of stories, ranging from photo-led interviews articles, to longer feature articles ranging between 1,500-2,000 words
- Support and collaborate with our editorial team and reporters to produce high-quality content
- Help to independently fact-check and research content in development
- Consistently generate fresh, unique ideas for new stories and features
- Interview key voices for your stories, either over the phone or in person
- Constantly follow daily research into Southeast Asian news topics and stories
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to write clearly, concisely, and in line with our in-house editorial style
- Excellent command of the English language
- Passion for storytelling
- Ability to uphold our mission of providing high-quality, independent journalism
- Detail oriented, intellectually curious, able to take direction, and eager to learn about writing for a digital publication with a large outreach
- Relevant work experience, course-work, or extracurricular activities in journalism, communications, marketing or other related fields
- Photography/multi-media skills, while not essential, are favourably looked upon
How to apply
If you meet this criteria and are interested in the role, please email us your resume and/or portfolio of work to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Editorial Intern application – Southeast Asia Globe’. In the email, include a short 500-word article suitable for one of our four core pillars about a key issue facing Southeast Asia today. No cover letter is needed.